Monday, December 10, 2007

Start Where You Are





I recently ran a 5K and when informed, my brother asked me had my car broken down!??!

Now mind you, in my previous life, I would be the one to say that I'd never run unless being chased by a dog.

I find it hard to walk on the treadmill...have to fight the tendency to break into a jog. Am I developing into some sort of an athlete [albeit late in life...]?

Wow...what are the ramifications of that title?

Well for one, folks have forgotten that I'd never walk anywhere. They just see me NOW. When they complain about how hard it is to exercise, I suggest walking.

No special tools needed...just the one most folks have...the left and the right leg...plus a pair of sneakers...or just comfortable shoes to start!

Just start off walking for for a few minutes I say...Ah..but there's the rub...I can't walk as far as you. I can only walk for 10 minutes. Ok...then start there...Rome was NOT built in a day!

In fact, that is precisely where I started...10 minutes...well sorta. I would walk for 10 minutes...and then back. That adds up to 20 minutes...silly me..that didn't dawn on me the first time...but by then, the damage was done. I discovered that I could walk for 20 minutes...and did not die!

In fact, I enjoyed it...me, my mp3 player and nature. So you can't do 20 minutes, do 5 and add a minute a day! No even power walking...just regular walking. Heck, if you go to the mall, you do more that that.

Bottom line? Just do it! There''s no try, only do. Each journey begins with a single step. If you won't do it for you...who will?

Ok...no more trite sayings. Just start where you are!

2 comments:

christine mills said...

That's very encouraging. Once you start exercising you can easily become hooked.

MacLady said...

You are so right. When I get straight cardio in the mornings...without the weights, I am soooo pumped up!